Sunday, July 26, 2009

12-Year Olds ... Augh!

I have now discovered why 12 year old boys are not called as missionaries…well, some of the reasons. I’m sure the whole, can’t drive, live independently or converse coherently beyond Lord of the Rings and legos may have a bit to do with it as well. But this is what I, of my very own experience, know. They can’t pack worth beans.

‘Tis true. I had two nephews come stay for 4 days while their folks were out of town. They were dropped off with brimming backpacks. One would think they were good to go. At 13 and 10 they should be responsible, right? Wrong!

The backpacks were filled with their priorities – video games, water pistols, they did manage swimming suits, laser swords, flashlights, guns (of the fake variety) etc. And to their credit, they had brought their toothbrushes…but changes of underwear?, clean shirts?, shorts?, PJ’s. Nope – there just wasn’t room!

Last week I took Mr. T and Bug to Yellowstone. My dear friends, the Folletts’, got us up to Rigby and from there it is just a hop skip and jump to the land of spurting glop and gaping tourists. I gave Mr. T a detailed list of everything he would need to pack. “Thomas, are you packing? Really, are you packing? What do you still need? Can I help? Would you like me to go over your duffle bag?” And, of course, the reply was, “MOTHER…I am twelve years old, for cryin’ out loud. I….CAN….PACK!!!”

And so it was that we arrived for a five day Idaho trip with…no toothbruth (I didn’t find out until the third day – major gross), no underwear, only the pair of shorts he was wearing and no PJ’s. The heavy duffle bag? Filled with Garfield cartoon books and a diagram book of an 1800’s Man of War boat. AUGH!!!

And so, in great wisdom, church leaders wait for a few years before the boys are asked to leave hearth and home (and mommies) to spend two years packing and moving around. But I would be willing to wager than even at 19, a few of them forget their toothbrushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment