Sunday, August 23, 2009

Accelerated Character Building

Today’s post is entirely serious with no humor whatsoever. None…at all…

I shall post about adversity, being grateful in all circumstances, and in the great joy that comes through experiences that build character…building…building…

Last week dishwasher gave up the ghost. Its heart – the pump – stopped pumping and it groaned and gasped and finally died. I am so grateful for the opportunity to again wash dishes by hand. I grew up hand washing dishes, I had no dishwasher until I had three little kids, and recently spent 18 months in my sister’s basement washing dishes so this will be …like …a …stroll …down …memory …lane. Happy…happy…

The fact that the dishwasher is only a freakin’ three years old is totally beside the point.

Slight grrrr.

Three days ago the air conditioner went out. The fan still works, but it blows no cool air, which sucks (in the %& way, not the actual “intake of breath” way).

You notice that I DID NOT SWEAR. Blog swearing involves FOUR little whatsits from the top row of the keyboard and I only wrote two, so think of a word like “crud” or “blast” or “shoot” (or for you of ancient years, “egad” or “zounds”). *

With no air conditioner I am SO GRATEFUL AND HAPPY for the opportunity to have my own personal sauna in my house. I don’t even need to go to the gym to work up a sweat. 94^ (why don’t keyboards have a degree symbol key – the $% stupids) is a nice, exciting temperature!!! I CAN TOTALLY LIVE WITH THIS AND IT WILL BE A FUN AND GROWING EXPERIENCE. Joy! Joy!

Bigger GRRRRRR.

And finally, giving all homage to Mr. Murphy and his law, my garage door opener broke yesterday. Yup – that door ain’t going nowhere unless I move it myself. My personal motto:
HOORAY - THE PLAN IS WORKING

comes to mind. I AM SO GRATEFUL MY GARAGE DOOR IS BROKEN…BECAUSE…BECAUSE…the inside of my garage is so cute? Nope, doesn’t work. How about…a garage door at half mast adds interest to the house? Don’t like that either. I know – now I can get more exercise by jumping out of the car to open and close it? We will go with it. I AM SOOOOOO HAPPY!

MAJOR GRRRRRRR !!!!!

*This reminds me of a story I heard about a Fast & Testimony meeting (for those of you not familiar with this – it’s a monthly Mormon church meeting where members of the congregation can come to the podium and share their spiritual experiences and feelings). A youngster told how he was so glad his family no longer used the “S” and “F” words in their home. The second he finished, the Bishop jumped up, in front of the people waiting their turn, and said he needed to clarify what his son had just said. In their home, the “S” word is “Shutup” and the “F” word is “Fart”.

3 comments:

  1. oh, the opportunities for growth, Diane! The Lord must really think a lot of you. I will pray for your dishwasher, your air conditioner and your garage door. Once Ellie fixed OUR garage door by praying. Not even kidding. And just think, now you can do that Bikram Yoga (aka Hot Yoga) all the kids are raving about. Yes, so lucky....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I ordered the cookbook but never recieved it. How do I get in touch with you?

    Lisa 801 885-9198

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered the cook book also and didn't receive it. My email is daviang@aol.com, Angie Robison

    ReplyDelete