Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ample Support for my Melons



Random thing showed up on my door step last night in a cute little sack with tissue paper (definition – “what we use when we are too lazy to look for tape which has now become so commonplace that many of us no longer buy tape”). I figured it was a late anniversary trinket as I just celebrated the 14th anniversary of my 39th birthday. But Noooo. ‘Twas a nursing bra. The note read, “To Diane, For your melons! (or your squash, if you prefer).” Let me explain.

A few months ago my neighbor, Shelby, who has green hands, seriously, the plants rustle and whisper when she walks down the sidewalk, “Look, it’s Shelby, wave…wave…”. Anyhow, she gave a series of little R.S. breakouts all about plants. Can you believe someone can actually make dirt interesting? As she was talking about pollinating cucumbers by hand with a Q-tip, I very innocently asked if the cucumbers enjoyed it. I mean, shouldn’t they? Being the oldest in the group (definition – totally beyond anything sexual – no matter how young the oldest is), they were a bit shocked.

A few minutes later we were discussing different ways to trellis vines. Did you know that even watermelon can be trellised and grow up? But the catch is, you need to support the fruit. Again, very innocently, I suggested using old nursing bras. Not only are they the right shape and size, but they would beautify the neighborhood and you can check on the growth of the fruit with a convenient little peek-a-boo window. What could be more perfect? Aren’t we told to re-use and recycle AND grow a garden?

But since my snack bar closed down many years ago, I am plumb out of nursing bras, so a kind and anonymous soul decided to share. I think I shall use it. And if my garden grows according to plan, you shall see my cup overfloweth.

3 comments:

  1. Here is the Diane we know and love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! You are so funny and always with fresh perspective. Had I been able to make it to the "dirt" serious I would have been laughing out loud with you...nothing shocks me!
    I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are killing me Diane! I have not laughed that hard in a long time, that was a fun night!

    ReplyDelete